2011 Annual Reception and Awards Ceremony
The 13 new Masters of Wine of 2011 were formally welcomed into the membership of the Institute at its annual reception and awards ceremony at Vintners’ Hall in London last night (Wednesday, 9 November 2011).
Outstanding achievement in the Masters of Wine Examination was also recognised with the announcement of the Institute’s 2011 awards.
The Upper Warden of The Vintners’ Company, Michael Cox presented the new Masters of Wine with their certificates:
- Michele Anderson MW (Australian living in USA)
- Christy Canterbury MW (USA national and resident)
- Sam Caporn MW (UK national and resident)
- Mary Gorman-McAdams MW (Irish living in USA)
- Andy Howard MW (UK national and resident)
- Emma Jenkins MW (New Zealand national and resident)
- Richard Kershaw MW (British living in South Africa)
- Paul Liversedge MW (British living in Switzerland)
- Caro Maurer MW (German national and resident)
- Antony Moss MW (UK national and resident)
- Mai Tanaka MW (Japanese living in UK)
- Dr. Liz Thach MW (USA national and resident)
- Clem Yates MW (UK national and resident)
Six of the new Masters of Wine also received individual awards for outstanding performance in aspects of the examination.
- Christy Canterbury MW, The Villa Maria Award (Viticulture)
- Mary Gorman-McAdams MW, The Viña Errázuriz Award (Business of Wine)
- Clem Yates MW, The Taransaud Tonnellerie Award (Wine Maturation and Handling)
- Antony Moss MW, The Robert Mondavi Winery Award (Overall Theory)
- Sam Caporn MW, The Madame Bollinger Medal (Tasting)
- Caro Maurer MW, The Noval Award (Dissertation)
- Antony Moss MW, Institute of Masters of Wine Outstanding Achievement Award, sponsored by the Austrian Wine Marketing Board
Lynne Sherriff MW, Chairman of the Institute, said: “The Institute is delighted to welcome the 13 new Masters of Wine to the Institute and to recognise individual achievement in the annual examination with this evening’s awards.”
There are currently 299 Masters of Wine based in 23 different countries around the world.