Masters of Wine Endowment Auction open for bidding
The Institute of Masters of Wine and Bonhams have announced today (1 November 2017) that their extraordinary wine auction is officially open for bidding. The auction contains a hundred special lots, all available online, which will benefit the Institute’s Endowment Fund.
All the lots can be found on the link below via the Bonhams’ website. Bidding will remain open until 1500 on Tuesday 21 November.
Among the many highlights are:
- A 12-bottle case of Guigal’s famous ‘LaLa’ Côte-Rôtie wines from four of its exceptional single vineyards.
- A chance to experience the best of Italy through the most prestigious wines of Istituto Grandi Marchi, including wines from Donnafugata, Marchese Antinori and Masi.
- A unique opportunity to experience the three and a half day To Kalon Certification – the signature event for Robert Mondavi Winery usually only available to the wine trade.
- A private once in a lifetime dinner for six with Jancis Robinson MW and the Lander family at one of award-winning restaurateur Will Lander’s London restaurants.
In addition to the online auction, the Institute is also staging a benefit dinner on Thursday 16 November 2017 at Bonhams with a live auction when bidders will compete for 18 Super Lots. These include:
- VIP trip to Bollinger to include deluxe travel, luxury accommodation, dinner at Les Crayerés, Reims.
- Three-night trip to for four to Burgundy hosted by Jasper Morris MW, Patrick McGrath MW and David Roberts MW. Visits to top domaines across The Côte de Nuits and Côte de Beaune, farewell dinner hosted by Pierre Henry Gagey of Louis Jadot.
- A private tasting hosted by Screaming Eagle, in the winning bidder’s location of choice anywhere in the world. Three vintages of Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon, three vintages of Second Flight and one vintage of the rare Sauvignon Blanc will be served. The winning bidder will also receive a position on Screaming Eagle’s exclusive mailing list.
The Super Lots are also available online for commission bids to be placed prior to the auction dinner on the 16 November 2017:
Chairman of the Institute, Jane Masters MW said: “Thanks to the generosity of our Members and Supporters we are able to stage this once in a lifetime event to extend our work across the globe. The Endowment Fund will help us support our existing Members more effectively, and, crucially, to encourage the Masters of Wine of the future.”
Notes to Editors:
About the Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW)
The Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW) is a membership organisation with an exceptional international reputation. For almost 70 years, its members – the Masters of Wine (MWs) – have been at the forefront of leadership and expertise in the world of wine.
The IMW’s mission is to promote excellence, interaction and learning across all sectors of the global wine community. MWs prove their comprehensive understanding of wine by passing the MW examination, recognised worldwide for its rigour and exacting standards. In addition to passing the examination, members must sign the code of conduct before they are entitled to use the initials MW. This requires them to act with honesty and integrity, and use every opportunity to share their knowledge of wine with others.
Today, there are 396 Masters of Wine working in 30 countries. The membership encompasses winemakers, sommeliers, buyers, journalists, shippers, consultants, academics, educators and more. There are 350 students from more than 40 countries in the 2019-2020 MW study programme.
Bonhams, founded in 1793, is one of the world’s largest and most renowned auctioneers of fine art and antiques, motor cars and jewellery. The main salerooms are in London, New York, Los Angeles and Hong Kong, with sales also held in Knightsbridge, Edinburgh, Paris, San Francisco and Sydney. With a worldwide network of offices and regional representatives in 22 countries, Bonhams offers sales advice and valuation services in 60 specialist areas. For a full listing of forthcoming sales, plus details of Bonhams specialist departments, please visit bonhams.com.